One of the top stories on a local news channel in Dallas, is the growing demand for statues of St.Joseph. The story reports that
When it comes time to sell a house, some homeowners rely on a statue of St. Joseph. A centuries-old tradition claims that burying a statue of St. Joseph in the yard helps homes sell faster.
I guess, wherver there is a religion, there is a superstition. And America is not an exception, but a bigger example, with lots of strongly religious people. Quick search on Google gave lots of superstitions and not surprisingly there were so many books (a quick search on Amazon threw 68640 results) as well. But here are some superstitions, that are pretty famous and are every day examples:
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- Getting out of bed with left foot first brings bad-luck.
- Spit on a new baseball bat before using it for the first time to make it lucky.
- If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake with the first puff you will get your wish.
- Before slicing a new loaf of bread, make the sign of the cross on it.
- Friday, 13th is the most dreadful day and bring misfortune. Also, If 13 people sit down at a table to eat, one of them will die before the year is over.
- The devil can enter your body when you sneeze. Having someone say, "God bless you," drives the devil away
- How you start the year is how you will end it.
- While predicting the baby, If Your baby's heart rate is 140 beats per minute or less, then it is a boy. If 140 or more beats per minute then its a girl.
- It's good luck when you see a falling star. Make a wish on it and it will come true.